The Startup Toolkit
The Startup Toolkit is an epic list of cost effective tools that my clients and I use to run our businesses every day. From online presence, to managing content and customers, we have compiled a comprehensive list of how to get started.
At Media Empires, we have consulted 20+ startups in downtown Toronto since 2012. We also run a series of business acceleration programs for entrepreneurs that have been featured at The Centre for Social Innovation, the University of Toronto, Youth Employment Services, and The Elevating Entrepreneurs Program.
Now, I want to share these growth hacks with you.
By the end of this article you will have the tools for:
- A killer online presence
- Clear branding
- Tools for managing customers & projects
- Online advertising
All you will need to get started is a business idea. If you haven’t chosen one yet, you can pre-register for the “Make Passion Your Profession” workshop at www.MediaEmpires.com.
A Good Place to Start
The team at Outsite The Box provides new businesses a “Good Start Bundle”. The bundle includes all components necessary for start-ups and new businesses when it comes to creating a brand identity and bringing your company characteristics to life. The package includes a custom logo, website, business cards as well as custom graphics for your social media profiles. Get in touch with an Outsite The Box consultant to find out more.
Here is our master list of resources all new businesses should take advantage of:
Cloud Storage & Organization
Process & Procedures
- WaveApps – For accounting & payroll
- Docracy – Contracts, non-disclosures, non-competes, photo releases, etc.
- SurveyMonkey – Market research, polls
- Square – Credit card transactions, also handles invoicing and inventory management all from a mobile app.
Learn To Code
- Codecademy – Free interactive learning
Time Management Tools
- Sunrise Calandar – Events & Meeting Scheduling made easy
- Asana – Free project & deadline management
- Slack – Free team communication platform
Social Media Management
- IFTTT – Free web media automation tools
- Hootsuite – Social media scheduling & analytics
- Buffer – Social media scheduling & analytics
- Google AdWords – PPC Search Engine advertising
- Facebook Ads – Social Media Advertising
- Google Keywords Planner – Discover your Keywords for taglines, content and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Retail & Ecommerce
- Vend – Point of Sale & Inventory
- Olark – Live chat on your website, if you have an online community or eCommerce functions
- Dropcam – In-store security camera
- Shopify – Ecommerce software to sell online and in person
- Stripe – The best way to accept payments online and in mobile apps
Business Communities Downtown Toronto
If you want to increase your prospects, try networking or joining an association. Here are some places you can start:
- Centre for Social Innovation – 3 locations, constant events & weekly “Salad Club”
- The Hip Haus – This is my favorite!! A networking event for young professionals, attracting over 1,200 attendees monthly. RSVP for the next event at thehiphaus.com!
- Toastmasters – A Public Speaking Association: from Pitchmasters, to the Debate Team to Comedy Club, you’re bound to find a club that fits your needs
- MaRS Entrepreneurship 101– Free classes on Wednesdays, in-person and online
Tell us about your favorite business acceleration tools! Did we miss anything your business can’t live without?
Subscribe for more free business acceleration videos here:
www.Vimeo.com/MediaEmpires. Our upcoming videos include: Building Credibility: How to fake it til you make it, Social Media Stoke and Creating Your Virtual Brand
Pre-register for our workshops today to learn more about sales & marketing, building an online presence, and establishing credibility. www.mediaempires.com
Check out fiverr.com/acceleratetoday to get your Startup Checklist, Business Concept Template, Value Proposition, a Branding Questionnaire and more.